Bravada Axle shaft install

Transmission, Transfer Case, Gears & Axles

Moderator: 95whtzr2

Postby troublemaker » Fri May 14, 2010 10:18 am

Anyone have a link to install one? Or a how to just got mine in today and want to get the 4x4 working.
troublemaker

Postby Miles » Fri May 14, 2010 2:10 pm

There's no write-up that I know of, because it's so straight forward. Just remove the five 15 mm bolts on the passenger side axle tube, and remove the assembly as a whole. The 2-piece axle shaft will come out of the diff carrier. Clean up both mating surfaces (diff housing & axle tube) use your silicone of choice and stick em together. Re-install the bolts. I'd strongly suggest installing a new CV axle outer bearing & seal into the new axle tube, before you stick the Bravada shaft back in. Do it while it's out, rather than wait to find out that it leaks later....then you have to take it all back apart.

That's about it.
Miles

Postby troublemaker » Fri May 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Oh that sounds simple do you have to take the front passanger side off CV and brakes off or can you just slip the shaft out with the CV shaft?
troublemaker

Postby ZR2SKE » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Just wondering!!! the outer bearing and seal for the bravada tube, can you use the s10 bearing and seal? Or do you need to buy the bravada parts?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin to slit throats." H. L. Menckens

Black, 2000 ZR2 X-Cab Pickup, TP 2"SL, PA 2"BL, 33x12.5x15 KM2's & Pro Comp's. 110K miles,11 mpg
ZR2SKE
ZR2SKE

Postby Miles » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:11 pm

You'll need the Bravada bearing and seal
Miles

Re: Bravada Axle shaft install

Postby jsulen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:13 am

I've Googled it for you.. :)

1 Pull the wheel hub electrical connector through the large hole in the front of the spindle knuckle. Install the hub bearing assembly onto the steering or spindle knuckle of the Bravada. Tighten the bearing mounting bolts with a 1/2-inch drive ratchet and socket. Switch the socket off of the ratchet and onto a 1/2-inch drive torque wrench. Set the torque on all three wheel bearing mounting bolts to 80-foot-pounds of torque, with the torque wrench and socket. Install the two electrical connectors on the rear of the wheel bearing together by simply pushing them together by hand.

2 Thoroughly lubricate the outer end of the CV axle shaft, using bearing grease or axle grease. Generously lubricate the inside splines of the wheel bearing with bearing grease or axle grease. Install the CV shaft into the rear of the wheel hub bearing, and push the steering knuckle inward over the axle shaft. Continue pushing the spindle knuckle onto the axle shaft, until the outer end of the axle protrudes from the front face of the wheel bearing. Install the spindle nut or axle nut socket onto the end of the axle, and secure it in place by hand.

3 Place a jack beneath the lower control arm of the Bravada. Raise the lower control arm on the jack with one hand, while simultaneously guiding the lower ball joint into the lower spindle knuckle hole. Continue raising the jack until the lower ball joint protrudes through the lower spindle knuckle mounting hole. Install the lower ball joint castle nut by hand.

4 Install the outer tie rod end down into the spindle knuckle mounting hole. Use a large rubber mallet to assist you in mounting the tie rod end if necessary, until the tie rod end protrudes through the knuckle mounting hole. Install the outer tie rod castle nut onto the tie rod by hand. Tighten the lower ball joint and outer tie rod end nuts to 70-foot-pounds of torque, using a 1/2-inch drive torque wrench and socket. Tighten the spindle nut to 110-foot-pounds of torque, using a 1/2-inch drive torque wrench, and a 36-millimeter spindle nut socket.

5 Lubricate the outer face of the wheel hub with bearing grease or axle grease. Install the brake rotor by hand. Place one wheel lug nut onto a single wheel stud to hold the rotor in place. Install the brake caliper bracket and brake caliper over the brake rotor. Tighten the caliper bracket bolts to 80-foot-pounds of torque, using a 1/2-inch drive torque wrench and socket. Tighten the caliper mounting bolts onto the rear of the caliper to 25-foot-pounds of torque, using a 1/2-inch drive ratchet and socket. Remove the wheel lug nut when the brake assembly is securely torqued.

6 Install the wheel onto the Bravada only after you have double checked the torque on all of the steering, suspension, and brake components attached to the wheel hub. Install the wheel and tire assembly onto the Bravada. Snug the wheel lug nuts down using a tire iron. Raise the front end of the Bravada using a 2-ton or greater capacity floor jack. Remove the jack stands from beneath the Bravada. Lower the SUV to the ground. Tighten the wheel lug nuts to 100-foot-pounds of torque using a 1/2-inch drive torque wrench and socket.
jsulen
n00b

Re:

Postby Kristian » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:32 pm

Miles wrote:You'll need the Bravada bearing and seal

I don't believe that is correct. The shafts from the same year range(s) are identical at the seal surface and bearing surface If I remember correctly. The only thing the tube does is plug the hole... Unless I'm mistaken crusty ran his old tube and just plated the old cable hole shut.
Kristian

Postby Miles » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:31 am

I think they're the same part number man. That post was from last year.....even though I haven't even been on the trail in TWO! :lol:
Miles

Postby ValdaClive » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm

bearing and seal for the bravada tube, can you use the s10 bearing and seal? Or do you need to buy the bravada parts?
ValdaClive
n00b

Postby slingnmud » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I just did mine last weekend, I used the Bravada seal & bearing from Carquest.....$ 8.99 bearing, $ 6.99 seal if I remember correctly. I've been planning, researching and aquiring parts since February for this. My passenger side CV had torn boots so I was going to do it all at once since I would have all apart anyhow. I used the Outfitter Design 3140H Alloy axle that Synergy sells for $ 300.00. It's the stock S-10 length so can use the snap rings on both ends of the axle. Most say thats not important but this is my D.D. so it has to be done right! I also reconditioned a set of UCA's I got from a guy who got some superlift's and did'nt need his. New bushings, bumpers, balljoints & paint.......Show quality!lol :lol:
slingnmud
n00b

Postby HenryJ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:09 pm

slingnmud wrote:...Show quality!lol :lol:
Pics! :rock:
Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go? -mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
HenryJ

Postby 95whtzr2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:20 pm

HenryJ wrote:
slingnmud wrote:...Show quality!lol :lol:
Pics! :rock:

x2
~Tom
Miles wrote:something under my ass went.....WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

My Junk:
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/95whtzr2/My%20trucks/ZR2/